Feeling overwhelmed by the amount of assignments and studying that comes with the last month of the semester? Here are a few tips to help you plan ahead, organize your priorities, and alleviate some stress.
- Make note of when all major assignments are due and when final exams are scheduled and put them somewhere you will see them every day such as the front door or nightstand. This will provide a constant visual reminder so you will always know important dates.
- Start research for all major assignments now. We all know being a college student involves procrastination, but going into the final weeks with even an idea of what you will be writing about/presenting is better than starting all assignments at once from scratch.
- Make time every day for physical activity. Whether it’s a session at the gym or a walk around the block, getting away from the computer and moving is a great stress reliever.
- Get plenty of rest and start working earlier rather than later. All-nighters may seem effective enough, but waking up well rested and working from there results in better quality work than trying to do assignments after a full day of classes and other activities.
- Replace large meals with smaller meals and snacks throughout the day. We have all experienced food comas after large meals, seeking refuge in a comfy chair or couch. Smaller meals and snacks every few hours will keep you energized and help avoid hunger without making you want to take a nap.
- Don’t hesitate to take breaks. Trying to work under stress is not good for you or the quality of your work. Never hesitate to take ten or twenty minutes to yourself and come back to work later.
- Socialize. Don’t let assignments consume you. Go out for a coffee or gelato with friends and talk with each other. Remember you are all in this together!
- Set small deadlines for yourself. Some thrive on finishing papers and assignments in one sitting. For others, small deadlines for things such as having an outline or number paragraphs completed by a certain time can help keep you on top of things and avoid overwhelming yourself.